Water purifiers are one of the most useful household items that play an important role in making our life healthy. With health awareness amongst the individuals increasing like neverbefore, several companies are coming up with affordable, economical, budget-friendly and functional modern advanced water purifiers. Water purifiers are useful in these days where pollution is at its peak. It is beneficial to understand the technologies behind these water purifiers to make a knowledgeable investment. But first of all you need to understand and ask yourself the below questions in order to select the best water purifier for home –
What kind of water supply is coming at your home?
This is actually the first deciding factor while choosing the best water purifier for home and supply of water should be observed carefully because this will decide whether your water contains germs and infections which will affect your overall health. There are some heavy metals like lead, mercury, arsenic and so on which needs to be taken out of water because the human body cannot get rid of these heavy metals and they keep on accumulating in your body creating health problems.
Normal water from many sources includes germs, bacteria, viruses which may cause water-borne diseases like cholera, typhoid and dysentery and so on. We should cleverly choose our water purifier although it may cost some burden but in the end, it will keep you away from doctors and costly medicines having effects on the body. Below is a table to understand what are different varieties of water source present in India along with the suggestions for water purifiers.
|Water Supply||Germs Level||TDS Level||Water Purifier|
|Underground water, Borewell or water supplied from Tankers||High in Bacteria and viruses||High TDS (Hard Water)||RO + UV|
|Underground water, tube well or Salty water||Low bacteria and viruses in water||High TDS (Hard Water)||RO|
|Surface water from rivers, lakes or rain harvesting supplied by the municipality||Low bacteria, viruses, germs in water||Soft water||UV|
What is TDS level or Hardness of the water that you are consuming?
TDS stands for total dissolved solids, and represents the total concentration of dissolved substances in water. All of these substances could be dissolved impurities and salts which are harmful to our body and these should be removed from the water before drinking. TDS actually helps us to calculate hardness or softness of the water. There are plenty of heavy metals like arsenic, mercury and lead within water which should be removed, because our body can never drain out such metals and they keep on accumulating creating health problems in the longer run and results a brief life span. RO purifiers can convert hard water into soft water and make it fit for drinking. You can buy any Digital TDS meter and determine the Hardness of your water easily. Below TDS meter is the best one currently available in Amazon having 300+ reviews and 5 star rating, that will help you to determine TDS as well as the Temperature –
After purchasing a TDS meter, come back to our site and follow the below table to determine the hardness of your water –
|TDS Level||Water Hardness|
|0-80||Very soft and ideal for drinking|
|80-150||Soft and can be used for drinking|
|150-400||Hard Water. RO purifier is recommended|
|Above 400||Very Hard water. RO+UV purifier would be best suited.|
What are the different water purifying technology that are currently available in the market?
Now we know about our water source and the TDS level, let us now understand various water purifier technologies that are currently available in the market, and which one to choose as per our requirement –
1. Activated carbon filtration:
Also called as carbon adsorption technique, activated carbon filtration is one of the prominent techniques used in home water purifiers. In this method, activated carbon is used to filter the water. Activated carbon, a highlyan extremelya verya strongly absorbent material effectively attracts and catches numerous common impurities in water. Many toxic organic substances like chemicals, chlorinated solvents and microorganisms are adsorbed by these filters.
- Activated carbon filters eliminate undesirable taste and smell of water, including chlorine.
- Much moreactivated carbon in the filter enhances the quality of water and the lifetime of the cartridge.
- Electricity is not required.
- Water at higher temperature levels affects the performance of carbon filters.
- Minimal lifetime – once the material of the cartridge becomes filled with adsorbed chemicals, it can not adsorb more and hence as a result needs to be replaced.
- Carbon adsorption can not remove heavy metals and dissolved solids from water.
- It can produce carbon greats into the water.
- It is effective when combined with various other purification techniques.
2. Ultra-Filtration (UF):
Ultra-Filtration is a type of membrane layer purification, in which the water is forced against the membrane layer with numerous tiny pores. The pore size of ultra-filtration membranes vary from 0.01 – 0.1 micrometers (1 micrometer is one millionth of a meter). This method of purification removes dirt, suspended solids, bacteria, viruses, microorganisms and their eggs, endotoxins and other pathogens, therefore produces extremely pure water with low slit density.
- The size of the smallest virus and germ is more than 0.02 micron and for this reason UF method is effective in removing most particles, virus, microbes, and colloids above their rated size.
- Highly filtered water with less usage of electricity. –
- Ultra- Filtration can not remove any type of dissolved inorganic elements from water.
- To maintain a high pressure water flow, regular cleaning is required.
- Effective when preceded by carbon adsorption or when combined with other purification techniques.
3. Reverse osmosis (RO):
Reverse Osmosis is also a type of membrane layer filtration however the pore structure of RO membrane is much smaller (0.0001 microns) and tighter compared to UF membranes. This helps the membrane layer to take out 90-99 % of the impurities in water, making it one of the most effective and economic options of water purifying. Another unique characteristic of a RO purifier is that it removes all the dissolved salts, metals and chemicals from the water.
- RO removes several impurities from water like complete dissolved solids (TDS), turbidity, asbestos, lead and various other harmfulhazardousdangerous heavy metals, radium and many dissolved organics.
- Converts hard water to soft water.
- A combination of RO and carbon adsorption is a most efficient treatment.
- Requires much less maintenance –
- Reverse osmosis takes out healthy and balanced minerals like calcium and magnesium mineral from the water.
- Due to small pore size, water circulation is sluggish and for this reason storage tanks are required.
- Chlorine may pass throughthe membrane and can also damage it; hence a combinationa mixa combo of RO and Carbon adsorption is recommended.
- Expensive when compared to other water purifying techniques.
- Professional maintenance is required.
4. Ultraviolet (UV) purification:
The special quality of ultra violet light that kills harmful germs and microorganisms is used in this purification method. This method of purification is mostly used for decontaminating water. UV light radiations penetrate in to the cells of germs and viruses and destroy their capability to reproduce. –
- An effective UV purifier eliminates 99.99 % of unsafe microbes.
- This method will not release any type of chemical compounds into the water.
- Reduces the resistivity of water.
- Will not remove any type of dissolved salts, particles, or ions from water.
- Makes use of electrical power.
- Needs professional maintenance. These technologies, when utilized in combination of two or more technologies, will certainly yield much betteroutcomes compared to when utilized separately.
This was a quick tutorial regarding how to choose the best water purifier for your home that would suit best for you considering several parameters. TDS level, source of water, or other impurities will make a crucial role in selecting your water purifier. Here are few best rated water purifiers that are currently available in the market. Select the one that would be the best suit for your budget –
LIVPURE SMART TOUCH RO WATER PURIFIER₹ 16,699.00
Smart touch with RO, UV, UF, Taste enhancer10.0/10
Storage of 8.5 ltr.9.0/10
8 stages advanced purification system9.5/10
Smart water dispensing: One glass, one bottle and continues water flow10.0/10
Mineral enhancer with TDS controller10.0/10
- Storage of 8.5 ltr.
- RO, UV, UF filter with TDS control
- Taste enhancer
- 8 stages advanced purification system
- It can be controlled via your smartphone
- Wastes a lot of water